Tuesday, July 9, 2013

But I've already had chicken pox!!

Yippy. Who knew I could get chicken pox again? Not me. Apparently it's because of my weakened immune system. It sucks a lot, especially in the middle of the summer. I'm starting to see a pattern. Everything I do seems to happen in sets of two.

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone just how easily a person with a compromised immune system can be effected by illness. Anything from a common cold to chicken pox. Something like a cold can easily become pneumonia.

A lot of people these days do not believe in having their children immunized. I respect that opinion, to a limit. I believe that when you make that choice, you have a social, human responsibility to the weaker among us. The thing that comes to mind here is whooping cough. So many diseases were nearly eliminated by vaccines that there is now a generation who has never seen their impact. If you make that choice, please educate yourself about the disease you decided not to get immunizations for.

That really has nothing to do with my itchy chicken pox, but seemed like an opportune time to throw it out there.

So, I should be able to go back to work before the end of July. The fluid amounts needing to be drained are going down. My first meeting with the chemo doctor will be August 8, which means I'll probably be lucky enough to start chemo right around my birthday. Ironically, that's when I started it last time. I have no idea yet how many treatments I will have. Last time it was 8 treatments, 2 weeks between each.

I will still have the second reconstruction surgery. That can't be done until after my chemo.  I'm feeling a lot better and getting stronger every day. I had planned on taking this week to catch up on lunches with friends. I guess I'll be staying home until I'm not contagious. Oh well, life happens, in sets of two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time to read my blog updates.