It's been quite a while since I felt like sharing my thoughts. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel.
The chemo is officially over. Just like the other times, this morning, 3 weeks after the treatment, I woke up with the most tremendous bone pain. I wouldn't have even tried to go to work, but I had an appointment scheduled for 9 am, so I did. I just hurt too bad to stay the whole day. It has stayed with me all day, so I took tomorrow off, too. It's not too bad though, because I know it will start to go away soon. I feel positive. I'd rather go ahead and stay home tomorrow, finish preparing for surgery, and go back to work with a fresh start. I had to go in for a blood count before work this morning, 6 am bright and early. I was the first one in the lab. I'm ready to get it over with. This was to be sure my blood counts are up enough for surgery. I feel blessed. The last time they took my count, right before the last chemo, the Dr. told me they were perfect, as if I had never even had chemo. I'm not sure what I did exactly, but I did something right!
Monday I have to go in and get marked. That's the ritual of being drawn all over with sharpee, so they don't forget where they're going to cut! My final surgery is on Tuesday. I know it seems odd, but it's a Happy New Year gift I welcome. Originally, the Dr was trying to help me get it in right at the end of the year, when my deductible and out of pocket expense was all met. Much to my surprise at work, my insurance actually switched over in the middle of December. That sent me into a state of panic! lol The Dr had already applied for pre-approval. It got very complicated, but I think it's all worked out now. I appreciate everyone's help in working it out. I'm sure they all got tired of hearing from me, but it was stressful and I needed to make sure it was all ok for my peace of mind.
In fact, things at work are falling in place and easing my mind tremendously. The surgery is the final part of the reconstruction. It had to wait until chemo was finished. It's an outpatient surgery, and hopefully, only a week off work. Doc says she will do her best not to have out in another drainage tube. (Oh God, I hope not! I hate those things. I've had 3, and I never want another!)
So I can start the new year with all the cancer treatments and surgeries behind me. I can focus on healing and starting fresh. The bills are all caught up. We had a wonderful Christmas. It was a simple Christmas, but I think that's the best kind. Everyone got a lot of homemade gifts from the garden. That was a labor of love I enjoyed. I had a lot of help, and wanted to make those special gifts before the chemo made me too sick. The kids all got toys they liked, on a simple budget. We spent a wonderful Christmas eve with friends and family. I got to see the joy and excitement in the faces of 8 precious grandchildren. That is, after all, what it's all about. That's the whole reason for the surgeries, the chemo, the radiation, and pain and nausea. It's about spending more time with them. I still have a lot to teach them, and they have a lot to teach me.
It';s a good thing I stayed home today. It turns out I needed another blood test, and had to gather up more info, like my mammogram results, and get them to my surgeon.
ReplyDeleteToni you are amazing and have many stories to tell and much to pass on. I Love Ya!!! See Ya Saturday!!!
ReplyDeleteI swear it will never stop. I got a letter from my insurance today. They approved my "pre-approval for my surgery, on January 17! WTF?! I called and got that straightened out too.
ReplyDelete