Thursday, August 8, 2013

Chemo plans

I finally got to meet my new chemo doctor today. I like her so much more than the last one. So, this time it will be 6 treatments instead of 8, and they will be 3 weeks apart, instead of 2. Ironically, that comes out about the same, August to December. The last treatment should be December 19. The first is a week from today.

This time around, I will not have the same chemo cocktail. I won't be getting the dreaded "red devil". That one is very dangerous to your heart, so they can only use it once. They will need to use a replacement for it. She said she wanted to change the cocktail anyway, because obviously the last one did not keep the cancer from returning. That makes sense to me. I will not need the nulasta antidote shot the day after now, since I will have 3 weeks to get my blood count back up. I will not need a port either. That's all good news.

I will lose my hair and nails again, but I was prepared for that. I think I'll have Shelly give me a short hair style the day after my first treatment. I know it will be almost 2 weeks to the day when I lose it.

Two things I remember very clearly. Some kind of cold thing, popsicles or ice cream to eat during chemo will help slow down circulation in my mouth and keep it from getting so sore. Chemo lasts several hours, chances are you will need lunch or a snack. Never take your favorite. It will never be your favorite again after eating it during chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time to read my blog updates.